Wednesday, May 29, 2019

What is Patrick Lew Band's legacy?


"Where does PLB stand as far as level of success and exposure is concerned..."
My place in history and in the scene is a rather interesting yet debatable topic.
I've been active in many different eras and trends in popular and underground music since my arrival in 2001. A lot of acts came, and a lot of acts went. One thing is for sure is what I definitely do have on me that a lot of people don't understand about Patrick Lew: longevity and the ability to adapt. 
The one issue facing PLB is drawing and star power. The numbers game. 
While I got my start in rock music at the height of popularity for pop punk and Emo, I almost benefitted from working alongside my peers , competition and elders than being a solo star capable of carrying things on my own. 
I was basically the dance partner and was the supporting act for the big dogs rather than being the star myself. 
Even during my more recent runs with Patrick Lew Band, beginning with a long heated rivalry against some of my personal enemies, I was always been the co-star on the middle of the bill. My losses with my rivals established and elevated their status higher supposedly at the time. My ability to work with and put over younger talent I was cool with was selfless and done with good intentions. I was basically out there building their character and making them a star out of good intentions. Because I was willing to work with young guys and girls and make something special out of them on their journey in this cut-throat business. 
Also. If you want to base a band's legacy and success based on numbers and algorithms on social-media (which is dumb), you will obviously notice my likes, comment (ex. testimonials) and followers on social-media are not on par in comparison with my peers and contemporaries. Either I don't get a lot on every new post on Facebook and Instagram, or they're non-existent at times. Obviously, those taped promos, those live performance videos, those shared Spotify links to my music, memes or whatever made some form of impression on those who've witnessed it online. But they're usually not meeting the algorithms based on the number of Facebook likes and comments. Here and there, I would have a purge on Instagram unfollowers who previously followed my Insta. If you wanna judge my legacy based on numbers and algorithms, that might lead people to believe or assume, "PLB wrote and recorded 200 songs but couldn't draw a dime." But in reality, it's not a useful source to dictate or verify any band's legacy and mark!
But therein lies one of the most admirable traits of PLB.
I have long possessed the skill, the drive and the persistence to outshine and actually outlived most of the roster and artists/bands (so far) I've shared the stage and digital age with since I first arrived onto the scene in 2001 as Patrick Lew Band. While a lot of the bands that once was active and on top of their game while I was still cutting teeth trying to make my mark and do something bankable creatively and just in general, a good percentage of those were with me on the roster when I started are no longer active. Aside from two lengthy sabbaticals, PLB is still standing and active as of 2019. 
Even if the numbers and algorithms are not meeting expectations and by music industry standard, there was no a single soul who could touch me from a performance standpoint. On the stage, whether on the mic or developing is craft, he was very much what he wanted or claimed to be: "Taiwan's G.O.A.T" As lofty and arrogant as it might sound, there is some small evidence and noticeable signs out there the can support my claim to the title. 
Also. I don't hog the spotlight. I'm a selfless person, performer and artist who would put over a young local band like Feedback to be slotted as the headliner and show support for the low-card acts on the same bill without being arrogant and macho. Then the week after, I would come out on social-media defending bands or artists who felt like they're not making it as a new band and call out (in character) in a taped monologue/promo towards the closed minded people for not shining light on this young band. To build up heel heat and to use it as momentum to tell everybody, "Hey, please check this new band out.
I put over younger talent in order to ensure the future of the music scene. Pretty much. Because I know and I'm aware that I won't be on top forever so I have to work with young guys and young girls to help elevate them later on in their musical journey.
Never for once in my music career did PLB feel like an equal to a One OK Rock or Baby Metal, primarily because I was never featured as prominently as those bands. I'm not a tour de force from a merchandising and marketing standpoint the way BTS was, nor did I ever captivate fans with an unmistakable aura the way Cthtonic did. 
What I was, is and always will be is a master at crowd manipulation and an exceptional, eccentric and persistent onstage performer and creatively driven recording artist who constantly finds new ways to provide a quality new record and story to tell. I'm definitely not the biggest star in music but most definitely a marquee and passionate performer and artist who the fans and others can count on getting the absolute best out of every night I go onstage or whenever a new single or album drops on Spotify and Apple Music. 
A versatile persona who die-hard fans of real punk rock music will always respect, appreciate and welcome back with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment