Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Chaos Room

Chaos Room: The Patrick Lew Band Anthology
This Soundclick.com music page is dedicated to 100% Patrick Lew Band's music. What you will see and hear is a historical recollection focusing directly on Taiwanese American punk rock musician and guitarist Patrick Lew's music, rather than his personal demons and truimphs. This is pretty much a boxed set anthology "kind of" band webpage of previous rare unpublished recordings such as Patrick Lew home-recorded demos and rough band rehearsal or onstage recordings, spanning from as early as 1999 to today from Patrick's freelance garage bands he played guitar and jammed with. What you will also see and hear are YouTube videos related to the Patrick Lew Band such as band practices, solo punk rock recitals, rant video blogs, and etc. You will also get a chance to hear all the Patrick Lew Band official albums on record as mp3 and streaming hi-fi audio. This music is NOT for everybody, but if you're passionate about the music and this outsider musician, enjoy.

Chaos Room (also known as PLB) are an Internet garage punk band that originally formed as Patrick Lew's Band in 2001 in San Francisco, California. They play a very loose and unpolished musical hybrid of 70's guitar-based hard rock, 90's alternative rock (especially Grunge), and contemporary punk music. The Chaos Room mainly promote their music online as a relatively unknown rock band from the Bay Area. Since 2011, their line-up consists of lead vocalist and guitarist Patrick Lew, keyboardist Faith Marie, and drummer Dave Arceo. Most of the band's pursuits as musicians are jamming in Patrick's bedroom writing songs and recording music, and aforementioned posting them via Internet.

1) band name: Chaos Room

2) Also known as: Patrick Lew's Band

3) hometown: San Francisco, California, USA

4) genres: alternative rock, hard rock, garage punk, grunge, punk revival

5) years active: 2008-present

6) related bands: Band of Asians, The London Lights

7) website(s): www.patricklewsband.com

8) band members:
Patrick Lew - Lead vocals, lead and rhythm guitar, electronics
Faith Marie - Keyboards
Dave Arceo - Drums, percussion

former members:
Jeremy Alfonso - Lead guitar, electronics

9) discography:
Curb Your Wild Life [demo] (2009)
Let It Rise And Against (2009)
Murder Bay (2011)
Why this name?
While this is still Patrick Lew's Band (PLB), the solo project of muah! The band name Chaos Room was something that was completely f***ing random when I was surfing the Net on some band name generator website. True story peeps. No f***ing joke! I wanted a secondary band name for PLB, like a 'guise' or alter ego or something!
Do you play live?
No! Unless I were playing in a local band serious about the music, with serious musicians who take their pursuits, passions, and everything else seriously. I WOULD. Right now, I do play bass in freelance "temporary" garage bands in the Contra Costa County with my friends from the college I graduated from. Most of the time, I am just making music sporadically in my OWN home recording studio, using my guitar gear, recording software, and little Netbook laptop. And post my new music on websites like this.
How, do you think, does the internet (or mp3) change the music industry?
Now you can go on Net and have your stuff heard by people all over the world pretty much. Another good thing about the Internet is it helps others rediscover lesser notable bands and artists from music from more than 15 years ago on websites like YouTube and MySpace and it helps them get some posthumous recognition and stuff.

The good thing about the Internet and mp3 is it helps hobbyists and serious pro musicians to get their stuff out there when the mass media isn't marketing or paying attention to them!

But, the downside of it is mp3's causes illegal downloading and piracy where no one goes out to a record retail place anymore and buy the CD. But then again! A lot of the stuff (Rock, Rap and whatever) out there being spoonfed to us right now on MTV and Top 40 radio is garbage. Indie musicians get a better chance with the mp3's and the Internet because it would have been much harder 15 to 20 years ago without it to make their music entrepreneurship stuff work and all. Or even get heard when not on the stage!
Would you sign a record contract with a major label?
There was a time, when I was a teenager banging amateurishly performed post-hardcore music in the band Goldenweasel (and Band of Asians) with my friends from high school and early college years in our garage that either one estranged member of the band suggested, we use the Internet as a stepping stone to receive that popularity and success in the music field. My drummer Dave, always was against the idea of commerce and corporate recognition and opportunities in music. Meaning, he was 100% against doing music for mainstream reasons and something that seemed the opposite of what we set our music to be. Artistry and creativity.


I might or might not be considered GOOD enough as a Rock musician locally or online, I'm really apathetic what others think about my skills and musical experience. I mean whilst I was a former member of the obscure local bands I played guitar in, based on the encouragement (not the easiest of ways to breakthrough or go viral I figured) from my former bandmates that myself and even the former bands I was a part of use the Internet as a stepping stone to get that success as a musician. I had NO IDEA it was going to be such a huge challenge to get viral when you're competing with a load of other bands/artists/musicians on the Net on whatever site that was more accessible for everyone. I am not even sure, if A&R and record company people even scouted websites like Soundclick for new talent to sign.



Looking back...I didn't think the intentions of doing music for popularity, money and mainstream commerce or success based on my former bands was a good idea or an aspiration to strive for. I realized the Net was a good place to post my band and music, but a word my close ones told me..."Even with the Internet making it easier for people to get their music possibly heard, it's a 1 out of 100,000 chance you get discovered." I had some regrets with my musical past I hate to say, mainly because me and my bandmates had to fork out so much of our personal investment financially to chase that hard-to-earn opportunity.



It's not music critics or my detractors that was the main concern about my musical past. It was because, I was a bit naive growing up as a guitarist and so-called Punk musician to try those ways to go viral or get exposure.


Now what are my intentions as a musician being on the Net?


Nowadays...While I do not mind opportunity from the field of music (if I were ever to get it). I mainly am using the Internet as a musician to use it as a medium and tool for those living faraway outside of my hometown region of the San Francisco Bay Area to hear and share my music if necessary. I am not usually a guy who is doing music for fame, money or a widespread popularity, even for those who assume I do. Yes, those three are nice to have. But only in moderation and to an extent. I am more currently doing the "INDEPENDENT" route as a musician and music-maker, and I am using the Internet to promote my music. Maybe a few fans and a community I can happily share my work with. Honestly, even with the few press coverage I had locally and on the Net as a musician. I am content with what I have now as far as fans, level of recognition and etc etc.


I am not doing music just for a paycheck and to become a celebrity or something. I am mainly doing this because I love playing/making music and I want to share it to others online. And I let the listeners find me from there or so. I don't mind opportunities in this field, but I am content with what I have now pretty much.
Your influences?
INFLUENCES: Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Green Day, Mother Love Bone, Van Halen, The Rolling Stones, AFI, The White Stripes, Steelheart, John Lennon, Smashing Pumpkins, The Vines, Tesla, White Lion, Blink 182, Angels & Airwaves, Dead Kennedys, Anti-Flag, Gin Blossoms, Beyond (HK), L-Arc-En-Ciel

FOLLOWERS: (To be written 10 years from now...)
Favorite spot?
The Bay Area. Other than that...Seattle, Japan and Ireland.

Here, there, and everywhere...I'm a wandering spirit.
Equipment used:
Les Paul guitars, Fender 25R practice amp, Line6 TonePort GX interface, Acoustica Mixcraft 5 (recording), Toshiba laptop, Rogue bass...

UPDATE: I also use a BOSS Micro BR to record demos!

No comments:

Post a Comment