Monday, May 9, 2011

Q & A. All about the music!

Little Stuff
Why am I here as a musician? 
I was promoting my music on Soundclick for many years. I had so far 9 years of fun and some drama there as a local and regional musician and artist from the San Francisco Bay Area promoting myself on many websites, such as my autobiography and participating in Soundclick contests but coming up short. 

I figured the Net was where most up-and-coming Rock bands at, along with many other major label Rock bands and musicians were promoting themselves also. I had a PureVolume music page before, but haven't got serious with it until now. There's a lot of homegrown talent of independent musicians and unsigned bands promoting their music and making a fan base here. And I want to be those musicians and artists doing so! 

Do I play live shows as a musician? 
Used to, when I was playing guitar and pursuing this with my former garage bands I was a member of. Nowadays I mostly make music at home, and promote it online. I would love to play live shows again. But I might really need a backup band of live musicians to present Patrick Lew's Band center stage. And I need less parental control with family when living in my house with my parents in my hometown of Antioch. And when the right opportunity, respect and time comes for my music. I mean! I been making music since 1999, promoting myself online when I was 15 years old. So timing is a bit essential for myself to get recognized musically. 

How many years have you been doing music? 
About almost a decade. I started learning guitar when I was 13 at a Chinese music school, and began writing my own songs quickly through the power chords I learned during guitar lessons. I began recording basement-made Rock N' Roll since 2001, when I got a 4-track Portastudio from some Guitar Center. I began using computers to record my compositions and ideas around 2005 or 2006, when I invested in a lot of up-to-date musical and recording equipment with my college money for cram school. 

What would you classify the style of your music and unsigned band? 
It's hard to say. I've been influenced by a lot of music and experiences. I hold a close nostalgia to 80's hard rock and metal. And I love early 90's alternative rock. I have also been influenced by punk and thrash music a lot from the Bay Area. I also was a die-hard Beatles fanatic growing up, collecting any merchandise related to The Beatles as a kid. 

But my music in Patrick Lew's Band? I'd say it is unconventional Hard Rock that is guitar-based with some added electronic sounds! I've been told my music as P Lew's Band to be classified when promoting it online as: Garage Punk, Grunge. 

What do you like about Patrick Lew's Band? 
Everything. The life experiences. Making music. It's a special event and interest of mines. I been promoting my music online for 11 years already, and I would never let anyone discourage me from doing what I love. Which is what I got from some music critics on Soundclick's website of critics and reviewers. I also like being solo, because I don't work under time pressure when coming up with ideas for new songs and Rock N' Roll music, and I don't have to put up with other musicians in Bandalism type events. Such as drama in playing guitar and making music in a band. 

1 comment:

  1. You'd probably like the band Futon, judging by what I've read, then again I often get it completely bloody wrong!

    It's refreshing to see a band member taking time out to promote his band via Blogger. Good on ya. I found the questions very interesting.

    ReplyDelete