Saturday, June 29, 2019

Patrick Lew's Evolution

Confession: I do admit that I did lose a number of my initial fan base originally as an artist. Which was common for Patrick Lew Band between 2008 to 2012. I started my musical journey as a cute, babyfaced and socially aloof child star. No lie! But as we all grow older, we all evolve. 
And that's exactly what PLB did. I tried very hard to grow as an artist, evolve and work on my craft and try and raise the bar myself on my own. 
I knew by the time I came back to the music scene in 2015, I wasn't going to attract new teenybopper fans who were 12 or 13 year olds like I did during the 2000s. But also, some of the original fans I've retained from before the hiatus were already in college or maybe even already in their 20s! 
Society was changing rapidly at the time. The generation and fans (if any) that grew up hearing a PLB record on the Internet and coming to my shows were growing up too. I grew up and evolved with them. 
The music got more experimental and serious. Even if I still got haters, it's more subtle and it doesn't drive me nuts like before since I've already made my mark these past few years. Some of the people who used to be indifferent towards me and my music became a little fascinated by what I do. 
Now at age 34. I've seen the light. Made my so-called mark. But ain't slowing down just yet!

Initially, I lost a lot of fans of my music in PLB who I've picked up during my mid 2000s child star phase, and they've migrated to other plastic superficial tastes in music or just in general. 
This started happening in 2009, when the critical backlash towards Patrick Lew Band was at an all-time high on the Internet and once I got hitched and got into a six-year relationship with my ex. And when I evolved from cute little Asian Zac Efron to "Sad Asian Boy" Patrick Lew. Lol. True story by the way!
But later on, I've gained a decent number of fans and consumers who didn't care about PLB at first but became interested because of the music and perhaps maybe my life story as it was told on social-media. People who didn't take notice of me back in the 2000s started appreciating PLB more because they knew what was really up. The music, the story behind the music and how I carried myself over! Ya know? 
When I started evolving and working on my craft, a decent number of people began taking me more seriously as an artist, showman and musician. 
Then TheVerse happened, Pleasure Gallows happened and all this and that. Cementing my status as "Immortal Patrick Lew." Lolz. #JumpRattleAndRoll

No comments:

Post a Comment